Thursday, July 3, 2008

Solution: How to stop the Dymo LabelWriter registration reminder (updated to version 8.7.4)

I use my LabelWriter on a lot of different computers, and I have clients who share their LabelWriter on a network with multiple computers. Installing the software is no issue, however my clients and myself are getting tired of being nagged to register our LabelWriters every single day. There is currently no option to simply "don't remind me again to register" which seems like it should be an obvious addition. There is only an option to "register later", but by later they mean tomorrow. It seemed like the only option to get rid of this nag screen was to proceed with registration. Until I got so fed up with it that I decided to find out how to override this reminder. This should work with any LabelWriter printer.



If you want to never see this screen again without registering, do the following:

save this text as dymonag.reg and double-click to run it.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\DYMO\DLS8]
"Initialized"=dword:00000001

Start up DLS and it should not nag you any more.

 I welcome your feedback.

9 comments:

Gray said...

BRILLIANT!

I was in the same boat. Thanks for the tip.

Bill said...

Thank you very much.

Leif Kindler said...

I know that this tip is more than 2 yrs old, but how would you do it in new version 8.3? And on Win7...

painful salute said...

Updated for version 8.4 today.

Anonymous said...

Wonderful! - Mind you it's irritating to have to do this.

How on earth do you find out what needs to be done?

Jeremy said...

The data tracking setting (if copied in before the app is ever run) doesn't stop the registration prompt. Version 8.5

painful salute said...

Thanks for the heads-up. Looks like something changed in the matrix again. I'll look into it.

Smith Family Times said...

Worked today for Dymo V8.5 Thanks!!! You saved me a lot of irritation!!

Unknown said...

Thanks - it worked perfectly with V8.7